Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WHAT DO YOU VALUE MOST?

The other day as I was getting gas, I saw on the news where a homeless man found $3000 and turned it in. The homeless person stated that he started to keep it but decided to turn it in b/c it didn’t belong to him.  I wrestled with this for a while b/c I couldn’t understand how a person being homeless (without and in need) could give up so much.  Without a doubt, this could have done so much for him.  Surely he could have used it.

Today as I sit thinking about this, this scripture came to mind- Mark 8:36: For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  Now of course $3000 is not the whole world but to a homeless person, $3000 is a lot!  But in other words, sometimes what we think is valuable or a lot may really be nothing and what we deem as invaluable and less important, can be worth a whole lot- even priceless. 

I am encouraged today to know that by this homeless man acts, because he decided to return the money (which belonged to a college student), he gained so much more.  Others saw what he did and gave many donations to him.  So in the end, he gained more than what he would have if he would have kept the $3000 in the beginning. 

There is a lesson to be learned in all things and I think the lesson I learned from this is to always guard what matters most.  My soul!  My relationship with Christ!  Every man has his own convictions and it is my prayer that no matter what the situation is, we acknowledge our convictions and choose Christ first!  Again, no matter what the situation may be, choose Christ first!  Another scripture comes to mind, Matthew 6:21- For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.  It all boils down to, choices and convictions- what do you value most? 

Stay Hopeful,

Clarissa

No comments:

Post a Comment