Tuesday, September 13, 2011

QUIT PLAYING WITH MY MIND

During the holiday weekend,  went to spend some time with some friends.  While riding down the highway, we decided to listen to the radio, and the station was playing some real nice songs.  Well, Boyz To Men's, Please Don't Go came on and I was telling my husband how their CD was one of my favorites.  I told him how I use to play it every morning while getting ready for school.  Yes, I remember the Motown-Philly with an east coast swing jam. 

Anyhoo, the next song that came on was Shirley Murdock's, As We Lay.  My husband asked, "Were you in school when that song came out?"  I replied, "yes" and continued to tell him that I remember being a young girl when this song came out.  Certain songs have a way of taking you back to a specific time in life and I can remember being real young, but somehow I was always "older" than other girls.  A young girl with an older or grown person's mentality and even at 12 years old, my mature level was way above the average 12 year old.

I wasn't prepared for the conversation to take this turn but my husband responded with, "it shows."  What does he mean by, it shows! I wanted to know, so I asked, "what does that suppose to mean?"  He said, as if he was clarifying himself, "I can tell, it shows."  I wasn't satisfied with his response because he was definitely saying something without saying it, and I wanted to know what it was he was saying, darn it.  So he said, "nothing, you just act like you're old."

Yes, I took offense because I'm not old and as far as I'm concerned, I don't act old either.  Then I had to remember, my husband and I came from two different paths and backgrounds.  So what he remembers as fun, I cannot even relate to.  His stories makes mine seem, I guess boring! 

After we got to our destination, my mind was stuck on his statement and if you don't know it, the mind is a really tricky thing.  I was thinking things like, well if I'm so boring, why is he with me?, and I've heard the saying, "opposites attract", but I don't want nobody with me who thinks I act old and that I'm boring.  Boy, I tell ya, if we don't get the mind in check, it can definitely take us on a journey we didn't even intend to go on.  Thank God my friend came and interrupted my thoughts because we might of been divorced by now.

My spiritual father used to always say, an idle mind is the devil's workshop.  I'm assuming that means, this is where the enemy plants bad and negative thoughts, and such things.  I don't know where they come from, but I have them from time to time. 

***Slapping myself upside the head*** Dag it!  When I was getting dressed, I forgot to put on my armour.  I forgot to put on the helmet of salvation- to guard my thoughts from the enemy.  Now he is all up in my head making me think things that I should not be thinking.  I wasn't expecting him today, and he came in a way I least expected him to.  

I am reminded of the scripture that says, Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ..." 2 Corinthians 10:5
In other words, whenever we are approached with these kind of thoughts, we must quickly counter it with the Word of God.  If it does not align with the Word or knowledge of God, we can simply throw it out.  Just like an unwanted guest that has disrespected our house, THROW IT OUT.  Tell it, you got to go!     

My mother told me years ago that although a million thoughts can run through the mind at one time, if you start singing, the mind stops thinking.  I guess the mind is no longer idle when you start talking or singing.  I know it might sound crazy, but I promise you that it works.  Just try it! 

In the meantime, don't forget to put on the full armour of God daily.  The enemy is lying in wait and ready to attack.  Be watchful as well as pray. 

Stay Hopeful

Clarissa

No comments:

Post a Comment